RET, the Rotterdam public transport operator, is replacing the safety systems of the metro and express tram in the city. Many of the safety systems are at the end of their technical life. This project will replace all safety systems between 2009 (start of preparations) and the end of 2016 (completion of all functionality). RET engaged General Electric (GE) to carry out the entire replacement project.
Adriaan Eigenraam was hired by RET as safety manager for this project. Important matters in terms of safety management are:
- determining the right safety requirements, for which safety analyses were conducted;
- setting up and keeping the hazard log;
- agreeing process arrangements for approval and release of the safety systems for use by the infrastructure manager of RET metro;
- defining and embedding operational consequences of the differences between old and new systems in RET procedures and operating instructions and manuals for traffic control, operations and maintenance (among other things as a result of the usage conditions transferred by GE);
- safety during the migration.