When the project was first mooted, it was Movares that suggested the customer think about using a bored tunnel. There was little support in the area for the solution that the local authorities had proposed, but Movares’ inventive proposal of a bored tunnel generated support and enabled the project to obtain a budget.
The province of Zuid-Holland and the town councils commissioned Movares to carry out a study into the feasibility of building a bored tunnel instead of using the more conventional cut-and-cover approach for the part of the Rijnlandroute between the A4 and A44 motorways in Voorschoten.Study into the technical feasibility of the idea in the light of soil conditions, existing structures, bottlenecks, design constraints such as gradients, etc.
- Cost overview.
- Survey of risks and opportunities.
- Limiting the degree of uncertainty regarding costs of the Rijnlandroute using the “Standaardsystematiek voor kostenramingen” (standard cost-estimating system) and determining construction costs.
- Study of variants for the section between Schie and the railway line.
- Study of variants for the section between the railway line and Maaldrift.
- Description of effects (noise, air quality, vibration during use) as regards existing structures.
- Description of effects during construction (noise, air quality and vibration during use).